Saturday, August 9, 2008

Dolmades + Tomatoes = Dolmatos

I made "Dolmades" (stuffed grape leaves) for my Aunt's wedding reception and it
was so incredibly labor intensive that I swore I would never do it again. Especially
for that many people. I like the filling so much though that I decided to stuff tomatoes
with it this year for the contest. I added grilled lamb and homemade tzatziki to top it
off with and really liked the finished product. You can enjoy them warm or cold. I prefer
them cold at this time of the year. (currently August of 2008) If you want to serve them
warm, you will need to skin them first. If they are served cold and unskinned they can be
hand held which I love. Finger foods are fun because people tend to be more social when
they are not bound to a knife, fork and table.

For the Tzatziki I use kefir cheese to thicken the greek yoghurt and make it stand up better.
My best friend is Lebanese and he introduced me to it years ago. It's also known as Lebne.
Traditionally lemon is used but I omit it because the kefir cheese already has a bit it tartness to it.

There are many similarities in Greek and Lebanese cooking. All of the spices for the filling are ground fresh. Using allspice berries and cinnamon stick. It's
less expensive the grind your own spices and the flavor is usually more intense.

Kefir Cheese can be purchased at Halal markets.
Whole Foods consistently carries ground lamb.

Dolmatos
You will need
10 small Roma tomatoes cut lengthwise. Make sure they are ripe
and tender.

For the rice filling
1 c Long grain rice
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 ts Ground cinnamon
1/2 Finely chopped yellow onion
1/2 tsp Ground allspice
3 finely chopped scallions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c Minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp Minced fresh mint

Cook rice in a small saucepan. While rice is cooking, combine all of the above ingredients except the (2 Tbs. olive and yellow onion) in a mixing bowl, stir and let macerate. Saute the onion in the olive oil and set aside to cool.

Grilled Lamb Patty

1/2 pound of ground lamb
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped scallions
salt and pepper.

Combine mixture and form into a large thin patty. Grill on barbeque until done but
still moist. Set aside to cool.

Tzatziki

1 cup greek yoghurt ( do not use non or low fat)
1/2 cup kefir cheese
1 cucumber ( peeled, seeded, grated and finely chopped)
3 medium garlic cloves (finely minced or use microplane)
1 Tbsp. fresh dill (or to taste)
salt to taste ( I like to use a fair amount)

Combine the Tzatziki ingredients and mix well. A sturdy wisk works fine.
Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.

Scoop out the loose part of the tomato. I like to use a grapefruit spoon.

Add the cooled, sauteed onion and rice to the filling mixture and combine
well. Slice the cooled grilled lamb patty in very thin slices and lay two slices
into the hollowed out roma tomatoes then top with a heaping Tbsp. of the rice mixture.

Serve with a generous dallop of Tzatziki on top or offer it on the side. The Tzatziki
is a must!

Makes 20 Dolmatos.

My Greek friend did sample the lamb and I got the thumbs up.

Taryn Engle
Nashville, TN

No comments: